Skip to main content

Into the Grand Canyon

It took millions of years to form the 227-mile long Grand Canyon, yet visitors to the site have only a few hours to experience this handiwork of nature that can only be described in superlatives. Most visitors head to the South Rim and some go the extra distance to the North Rim when it is open from mid-May to mid-October.  Fewer still head to the West Rim, which sits at the tail end of the Canyon on the Hualapai Indian Reservation, a short ride from Las Vegas through the 900-year old Joshua Forest.

The Joshua tree is so called because its branches are outstretched like the arms of the prophet Joshua 
as he pointed his people to the Promised Land. It is part of the yucca brevifolia family and has sword-shaped leaves and may bear a white or greenish flower that looks like an enlarged cone.

Rainfall in February produced low-lying yellow and pink desert flowers, giving color to the parched landscape. 
And like a mirage, we spotted three wild mustangs, one of them a dazzling white. How amazing to see life thriving amidst harsh conditions!  But that is the paradox of the desert.

The Grand Wash Cliffs rise like a monolith in an otherwise flat terrain.  Up close, breaks on its walls are 
more evident from tremors that caused chunks of rock to come off its surface, leaving a visible red line across its width.

The last fourteen miles of the trip is on unpaved road and large passenger buses have to slow down 
to a crawl to soften the bumps along the way. At the entrance to the reservation, a large sign bids visitors "GamYu" or welcome in Hualapai language.  It is a smooth ride rom the gate to the rim.

The specific tour I took included a short boat cruise on the Colorado River. To get there, we boarded a helicopter for a thrilling ride over the banks of the river, 4000 ft. below, sometimes flying sideways as we followed the contour of the canyon walls. My first glimpse of the chasm and the river was unforgettable. The helicopter ride was a heart-stomping way to get a radar’s look at the canyon. 

The discovery of a rattlesnake curled up under some rocks leading to the embankment fueled the already highly charged excursion. In contrast, the pontoon boat cruise was a more tame and relaxing way to view the canyon from a different angle. From down below, one can get a sense of the depth of the canyon and admire the gradations of colors of its walls.  At this level, the temperatue is ten degrees warmer than at the rim.

The ascent back to the rim was a harrowing experience as we barely cleared the cliffs and were skimming the walls of the canyon. I let out a scream as we traversed a gap and beheld another tremendous view. The scream was not from fear but from sheer delight, as one would when going down a roller coaster.  Except that we had no tracks to follow.

Lunch was served on a bluff overlooking the canyon. Unlike the South Rim, no railings guard the edge of the rim here. It is a steep drop to the gorge below.

Taking pictures can pose many challenges because you are surrounded by incredible beauty; it is difficult to decide where to begin. 

As I was boarding the bus for the return trip home, one of the visitors asked me if I had taken enough pictures (after observing how fast my camera shutter was performing).  "I could not possibly take enough pictures to capture the immensity of the Grand Canyon", I replied.  And he agreed. 


Images by TravelswithCharie

Popular posts from this blog

8 Heritage Houses of Iloilo

Lizares Mansion The province of Iloilo on the island of Panay has a rich trove of heritage houses, left over from the sugar industry boom in the 19th century. Iloilo also had the largest port in the Philippines at that time which facilitated the export of sugar to foreign shores and deposited money in the hands of the sugar barons. The barons dropped their earnings into the acquisition of properties in Negros and the construction of beautiful homes in Iloilo, many of which are located in the vicinity of the Jaro Cathedral. The Lizares Mansion was built in 1937 by Don Emiliano Lizares for his wife, Concepcion Gamboa and five children. The family fled to safety when World War II broke out and the house was occupied by the Japanese military. The family returned to the house after the war but left once again after the demise of Don Emiliano. It was sold to the Dominican order in the 1960s and was converted in 1978 to a private school, Angelicum School. The mansion now houses the

Filipino Struggles in History - Carlos Botong Francisco

In 1968, Antonio Villegas (then Mayor of Manila), commissioned Carlos "Botong" Francisco to paint the history of Manila for Manila City Hall. The series of large scale paintings was called  Kasaysayan ng Maynila  (History of Manila).  The paintings deteriorated over time and no attempt was made to preserve these historical canvases until 2013 when Mayor Amado Lim sent them to the National Museum for extensive restoration. Four years later, in 2017, Mayor Joseph Ejercito Estrada and the Manila City Council signed an agreement with the National Museum to leave the paintings at the museum so they may reach a larger audience in exchange for museum grade reproductions to replace the originals. Kasaysayan ng Maynila was later renamed Filipino Struggles in History and is now on display at the Senate Hall of the National Museum . Carlos "Botong" Francisco died in March 1969, a few months after completing the paintings. He is one of the first Filipino modernists and

The Art of Carlos Botong Francisco - Progress of Medicine in the Philippines

Pre-colonial period Pag-unlad ng Panggagamot sa Pilipinas (The Progress of Medicine in the Philippines) is a group of four large-scale paintings depicting healing practices in the Philippines from pre-colonial times to the modern period. Carlos Botong Francisco was commissioned in 1953 by  Dr. Agerico Sison who was then the director of Philippine General Hospital (PGH) together with   Dr. Eduardo Quisumbing of the National Museum, Dr. Florentino Herrera, Jr. and Dr. Constantino Manahan. These oil on canvas paintings measure 2.92 meters in height and 2.76 meters in width (9.71 ft x 8.92 ft) and were displayed at the main entrance hall of PGH for over five decades. Owing to its location, the artworks were in a state of "severe deterioration" at the beginning of the 21st century from exposure to heat, humidity, dirt, dust, smoke, insect stains, grime, termites and an oxidized synthetic resin used in an earlier restoration. These canvases were restored three times, the last was