Skip to main content

A Tale of Travel Gone Wrong

Rothenburg ob der Tauber
A travel tale gone wrong
After a thoroughly good morning of sightseeing around the fairy tale town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, I walked back to the train station to catch the 3:06 p.m. train to Würzburg which was my home base in Franconia. I was early so I took the opportunity to sit down and rest my aching feet inside the train station where it was warm and cozy. The train arrived on time and we took off for the hour ride home. Or so I thought. Soon after we left the station, I heard an announcement in German which I didn’t understand completely but from which I inferred that something wasn’t quite right. After Steinach where we had to change trains, there was another announcement and in Uffenheim, we were all asked to get off the train. I gathered through an English speaking passenger that we were going to be picked up by a bus as our train could not continue due to an obstruction at one of the stations up ahead. 

We waited for the bus. And waited some more. There was nowhere to sit outside the train station which was closed for the day. It was getting colder by the minute as the sun was fading away and light rain started to fall. My legs were hurting from standing and after the long walk earlier in the day. It was a good thing I had a beanie to warm my head and ears but I forgot my gloves at the hotel. The bus arrived about an hour later. The driver took us to various train stations where some passengers disembarked. They were mostly kids going home from school. The rest of us were dropped off in Winterhausen where we would take the train bound for Würzburg. Unfortunately, we had just missed a train going in that direction so we had to wait another forty minutes for the next one. 

It was a clear, cold night and the temperature was hovering around 48°F. I saw one woman open her suitcase and pulled out her coat. The train station was closed. We were all huddled on the platform around a tiny shelter similar to that of a bus stop. There were no rest rooms in sight. I counted the seconds hoping to advance time a little faster until I was down to the final sixty. I checked the information display screen for the umpteenth time and saw to my dismay that the train would be delayed by 5 minutes. It was incredible that this could happen on this very night after the tedious journey! Five minutes is a short time to wait but after waiting for forty minutes in the frigid night air, it was cruel! 

At long last the train arrived. We scrambled to find seats and tried to warm up a little while the other passengers queued by the restroom. As it turned out, we were only 12 minutes away from Würzburg. Why couldn’t the bus take us there instead of making us wait for the train under such circumstances? So close, yet so far. I was so grateful when we alighted in Würzburg where I had a hot meal before slipping into a warm bed to rest like a princess. Ah, the princess in the un-fairy tale. 


Image by TravelswihCharie


Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Carlos Botong Francisco - Progress of Medicine in the Philippines

Pre-colonial period Pag-unlad ng Panggagamot sa Pilipinas (The Progress of Medicine in the Philippines) is a group of four large-scale paintings depicting healing practices in the Philippines from pre-colonial times to the modern period. Carlos Botong Francisco was commissioned in 1953 by  Dr. Agerico Sison who was then the director of Philippine General Hospital (PGH) together with   Dr. Eduardo Quisumbing of the National Museum, Dr. Florentino Herrera, Jr. and Dr. Constantino Manahan. These oil on canvas paintings measure 2.92 meters in height and 2.76 meters in width (9.71 ft x 8.92 ft) and were displayed at the main entrance hall of PGH for over five decades. Owing to its location, the artworks were in a state of "severe deterioration" at the beginning of the 21st century from exposure to heat, humidity, dirt, dust, smoke, insect stains, grime, termites and an oxidized synthetic resin used in an earlier restoration. These canvases were restored three times, the last was

Filipino Struggles in History - Carlos Botong Francisco

In 1968, Antonio Villegas (then Mayor of Manila), commissioned Carlos "Botong" Francisco to paint the history of Manila for Manila City Hall. The series of large scale paintings was called  Kasaysayan ng Maynila  (History of Manila).  The paintings deteriorated over time and no attempt was made to preserve these historical canvases until 2013 when Mayor Amado Lim sent them to the National Museum for extensive restoration. Four years later, in 2017, Mayor Joseph Ejercito Estrada and the Manila City Council signed an agreement with the National Museum to leave the paintings at the museum so they may reach a larger audience in exchange for museum grade reproductions to replace the originals. Kasaysayan ng Maynila was later renamed Filipino Struggles in History and is now on display at the Senate Hall of the National Museum . Carlos "Botong" Francisco died in March 1969, a few months after completing the paintings. He is one of the first Filipino modernists and

8 Heritage Houses of Iloilo

Lizares Mansion The province of Iloilo on the island of Panay has a rich trove of heritage houses, left over from the sugar industry boom in the 19th century. Iloilo also had the largest port in the Philippines at that time which facilitated the export of sugar to foreign shores and deposited money in the hands of the sugar barons. The barons dropped their earnings into the acquisition of properties in Negros and the construction of beautiful homes in Iloilo, many of which are located in the vicinity of the Jaro Cathedral. The Lizares Mansion was built in 1937 by Don Emiliano Lizares for his wife, Concepcion Gamboa and five children. The family fled to safety when World War II broke out and the house was occupied by the Japanese military. The family returned to the house after the war but left once again after the demise of Don Emiliano. It was sold to the Dominican order in the 1960s and was converted in 1978 to a private school, Angelicum School. The mansion now houses the